Photo of girl student

IRD Donation Rebate

The IRD rules state that the following payments qualify for the Donation Rebate

  • Donation payments to state schools (including integrated schools), schools approved as charities for tax purposes, school boards of trustees or parent-teacher associations. These payments must be donations, not just a payment of school fees.
  • state-funded schools for payment of fees, as long as these go to the school’s general fund.

Payments that don’t qualify are

  • Payments for classes where there is a take-home component, such as woodwork
  • Where attendance or participation of the activity is voluntary
  • Transport to or from a school activity, such as a camp or food at the camp
  • Tertiary or tuition fees.

Parents should claim for any general purpose school payments they have made.

Parents will need a Rebate Claim Form (IR 526) which will either be sent to them or can be obtained from www.ird.govt.nz or by phoning 0800 257 773 (need IRD number).

MoST Content Management V3.0.7525