facebooktwitter

Photo of girl student

Board of Trustees Minutes 31 July 2019

Date: Wednesday 31 July 2019

Time: 7.00 pm

Venue: Room 8, Ridgway School

Administration

1. Attendees: Kathryn Smith, Barbara Dean, Rachel Kirkman, Jo Pohatu, David Eng, Cushla Thurston, Raelene Sloper

2. Apologies: none

3. New declaration of interests: none

4. NZSTA updates: none

a. J Pohatu attended meeting which was useful and included small group activities covering different scenarios

b. Inclusive Schools and Student Wellbeing workshop (21 November)

5. Correspondence: None

6. Confirmation of Minutes:


Resolved, That the June 19 2019 Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes are accepted and approved (Moved, B Dean;Seconded, R Kirkman;Carried, Unanimously).

Ridgway's Strategic Aims

General Governance


7. Ridgway's mission, values and strategic goals

a. We're aware that there is work to do to articulate mission, vision, strategic goals.

b. R Kirkman & B Dean have begun trying to articulate this and to consider how to make it useful, usable and used.

8. Additional board portfolios: Personnel, Enviroschool

a. Discussion surrounding Personnel portfolio = Essential role which includes conversations with staff and surrounding staffing and staff wellbeing.

b. Discussion surrounding possible Enviroschool portfolio.

i. We have been an Enviroschool for a long time and support from the Board and the school vision will enhance this.

ii. As we enter into a new build our Enviroschool status and sustainability is an important consideration.

iii. It will be good to have someone liaising with S Campbell, so we will continue discussion and consideration as the rebuild progresses.


ACTION: R Kirkman will look into Enviroschools, and talk to S. Campbell regarding the requirements and identifying the place of Ridgway's status as an Enviroschool.


Resolved, That the Board of Trustees assigns J Pohatu to the Personnel portfolio (Moved, B Dean; Seconded, R Kirkman; Carried, Unanimously).


9. School donation amount for 2020 and communication around this

a. Need to set amount for donations for 2020.

i. Board decides to keep donation amount the same for 2020.

b. Ridgway school doesn't qualify for state-funded donations scheme.


ACTION: Communicate school donation amount for 2020 in next board newsletter and any queries to be directed to BOT.


10. Kāhui Ako update:

a. drinks next Tuesday 6 August at Newtown School.

b. Across school roles have been appointed.

i. One Ridgway teacher is released .4 each week to work on this.

ii. One teacher from Newtown and two from Wellington High School

c. Schools are going to advertise within schools next.

11. Letter regarding Berhampore School zoning

a. B Dean has written a letter to the Ministry of Education regarding the close geographical boundary to Ridgway school.


ACTION: B Dean to write to Ministry of Education regarding Berhampore school zoning and circulate to the Board.



Goal 1: Successful Learners


12. ERO report

  1. ERO have been and have submitted their report.

  2. The report was disappointing and the school responded to the draft providing evidence.

  3. We are waiting to hear back.


13. Presentation of Principal's report

  1. Discussion surrounding the Wellbeing Survey that children answer.

    1. Year 6 results are least positive, but Year 7 & 8 are most positive.

    2. We pick out a few areas to work on following each wellbeing survey.

    3. Some of these areas can contribute to our strategic goals.

  2. K Smith answers questions regarding the Principals report

    1. Clarifying attendance reporting and the importance of knowing our baseline and patterns.

    2. Confirming that It is a key role of the board to monitor the role and attendance.

    3. Teachers need to do a report on health to community.


Goal 2: Inclusive Culture


14. [No matters to discuss]


Goal 3: Inviting Environment


15. Property: update, next steps, decisions to be made by BOT, consultation with community

  1. Discussion surrounding what is important to the school and clarifying the Board's goals and ideals for the location of students during the rebuild.


ACTION: R Kirkman to write a property update for the website as soon as she has more information.


ACTION: C Thurston to email architects with options for relocating existing classrooms during the rebuild.


b. We have received a building report from the council which required some updates to the fire alarms.

c. We are still awaiting a building code of compliance.


ACTION: K Smith to follow up on building report and what is required for update to fire alarms.


16. Phone system

  1. K Smith has accepted quote to change phone systems.

  2. Lift phone will stay on copper wire as it is cheaper than changing to digital system, especially in light of the new build.


ACTION: C Thurston: Investigate the ongoing need for a lift.


17. Bikes in schools tools for bike shed

  1. Bike in Schools would like to access approximately $1800 for bike tools. This money comes from the money raised in the bike raffle.

  2. The skills track for the bike track is currently stalled as a plan is made and approval is sought from Wellington Council.


Resolved, The board moves to allocate $1800.00 raised in the bike raffle for bike tools. (Moved, K Smith; Seconded, B Dean).


Goal 4: Involved Community

18. BOT to meet with staff for afternoon tea on the 2nd August at 3.15-4pm. Board to bring a plate.

19. BOT minutes on website


ACTION: R Sloper to load all 2019 minutes to website


Closing

20. Outstanding action points from previous meetings

21. Any other business

22. Next meeting & supper

Next meeting: Wednesday 18 September 2019, 6.30pm

Supper duty: J Pohatu

Meeting closed: 8:50 pm

Signed as a correct record: ____________________________________

Chairperson / /2019



Summary of action items from meeting 31 July 2019

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Look into Enviroschools, and talk to S. Campbell regarding the requirements and identifying the place of Ridgway's status as an Enviroschool.

R Kirkman

September BOT meeting

Governance

Communicate school donation amount for 2020 in next board newsletter and any queries to be directed to BOT.

B Dean

Next board newsletter

Governance

Write to Ministry of Education regarding Berhampore school zoning and circulate to the Board.

B Dean

August

Governance

Write a property update for the website as soon as she has more information.


R Kirkman

Term 3

Governance

Email architects with options for relocating existing classrooms during the rebuild.


C Thurston

August

Governance

Follow up on report and what is required for update to fire alarms.

K Smith

Term 3

Governance

Investigate the ongoing need for a lift.

C Thurston

September BOT meeting

Governance

Load 2019 BOT minutes to Website

R Sloper

Term 3



Summary of action items from meeting 19 June 2019

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Work on some governance modules on STA (training)

Board

Ongoing

Governance

Come to next meeting with thoughts regarding vision, mission and strategic goals

Board

31 July meeting

Governance

Plan property update information evening

Board

31 July meeting

Governance

Check with Jo about Whānau hui group views on Ridgway name in Te Reo

J Pohatu

31 July meeting

Governance

Board to consider name of Ridgway School in Te Reo

Board


Summary of action items from meeting 27 March 2019

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Board to discuss fundraising strategy and possible liaison role going forward.

Board

Ongoing

Summary of action items from meeting 20 February 2019

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Review 2019 Budget

Board

June/July 2019

Summary of action items from meeting 30 January 2019

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Board need to consult and develop school motto.

Board

Ongoing

Summary of action items COMPLETED last meeting



Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Board to meet staff at 3:15pm 2 August.

Board

DONE

Governance

B Dean to draft BOT newsletter that introduces board, includes information about carpet and points to property update

B Dean

DONE


MoST Content Management V3.0.7013