facebooktwitter

Board of Trustees Minutes


Date: Wednesday 30 January 2019

Time: 6.30 pm

Venue: Staffroom, Ridgway School


  1. Administration

Attendees: Kathryn Smith (Principal), Richard Ngatai (Chair), Julie Hanify, Barbara Dean, Sarah Wood, Rachel Kirkman, Vicki Pewhairangi-Kremm, Gina and Alana from Ministry of Education (ME)



  1. Ministry of Education: Zoning Discussion

  • Gina is our first point of contact for ME

  • Firstly interested in hearing from BOT:

    • Consider issues regarding French class at school and implications of zoning on that.

    • Driving force to consider zoning is when a school is approaching capacity.

    • ME is trying to be proactive.

    • Zoning is a board controlled process with support (where required) from the Ministry of Education.

  • Zoning process

    • Look at home zone and have informal discussions.

    • ME can help draw maps

    • Formal consultation involves emailing other schools and community

    • Goes for approval to ME

  • French Class can be Special Programme whereby they do not have to live in zone and include criteria.

  • Decapitation process

    • Application submitted to ME after community consultation.

  • ME will send information regarding housing, numbers etc in our potential zone.


  1. Strategic Discussions


  • Year 7-8 discussion

    • ME report with recommendations for future school structures may impact in the future.

    • Discussion surrounding whether first step needs to be community consultation as part of the vision for Ridgway School in 2019.

  • Community consultation for School Vision

    • March: with building information as well.

    • Include it with the School Fair - have a room.

    • Ballot boxes for people to have a vote regarding zoning and retaining year 7&8

    • Outline the issues/discussions in the newsletter prior to the consultation.

      • enable people to make an informed discussion.


5. School Charter Discussion

  • To be submitted to ME by/on 1 March 2019

  • 1. Successful learners: the board want to see inclusion of french class as part of school but to include it's successful integration as part of it's cultural inclusion goal.

    • The board want successful learners to be recognised as those that are meeting their targets (student's personal and school) and would like to be updated regularly.

    • Is it necessary to mention all 'business as usual' that happens behind the scenes, ie informing the board of achievement?

      • Yes, because this makes the information clear and accessible for community.

    • How would the board like to monitor achievement?

      • The Principal's report details achievement and is reported regularly.

  • 2. Cultural inclusion

    • Te Reo project wording needs to be changed to implementing.

    • School name in Te Reo

  • 3. Building

    • Maintaining safe environment and minimise disruption during build.

    • Get a fit for purpose building and wider school environment.

      • Include consideration of development of the bank

    • Enviroschool status still a focus for the year.

  • 4.

    • Signage etc done but still wanting a motto

    • The board actively engages with the community

      • Engagement with community at school fair 24 March

      • Ongoing engagement regarding buildings

    • Include point considering staff well-being as well as engagement of community/families in the running of the school under Goal 2.3 'staff are well supported to do their jobs".



ACTION: Board need to consult and develop school motto.


ACTION: R Ngatai to follow up on cultural narrative including school name in Te Reo.





Next meeting: Wednesday 20 February, 6.30pm


Supper duty: Vicki Pewhairangi-Kremm


Meeting closed: 8.36pm


Signed as a correct record: ____________________________________

Chairperson / /2019




Summary of action items from meeting 30 January 2019

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Organise community consultation at school fair


Board

Next meeting

Governance

Board need to consult and develop school motto.

Board


Governance

Cultural narratives including Ridgway School name in Te Reo

R Ngatai

Ongoing




Summary of action items from meeting 28 November 2018

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Forward meeting invitation for 18/12/2018 with architects to BOT.

R Kirkman

Term 4

Governance

Language and culture strategy to be put online.


K Smith

Beg. Term 1 2019

Governance

Need to consider sign language as part of language strategy and where it fits.

B Dean

Term 1, 2019

Governance

Talk to architects about date in February to meet with community and architects.

K Smith

Term 4

Governance

To speak or organise speaker for the two assemblies on 14/12/18.

R Ngatai

DONE

Governance

K Smith to pick up card and movie tickets on behalf of the board to thank office staff.

K Smith

DONE

Governance

End of year newsletter from BOT to come out 12/13 December.

S Wood

DONE

Governance

Conduct leaving interviews with departing staff.

K Smith

DONE





Summary of action items from meeting 24 October 2018

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

R Ngatai will follow up on cultural narratives re: appropriate name, branding, education.

R Ngatai

Term 4



Summary of action items from meeting 31 July 2018

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Define sub-committee roles and look for parent expertise, especially finance.

Board

Term 4


Summary of action items from meeting 20 June 2018

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Property Project

Develop education brief for building project.

K Smith, staff

DONE



Summary of action items from meeting 26 October 2017

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Review lockdown procedures

K SMITH

2018 - school docs


Summary of action items COMPLETED last meeting

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Write to Pridelands about the after school child care contract for 2018 and the date it expires April 2019.

R Ngatai

DONE

Governance

Advertise for a board meeting minute taker position in the school newsletter.

K Smith

DONE

Governance

Check School Docs for policy updates.

Office Staff

Always ongoing

Property

Talk to bikes in schools group about whole school design.

K Smith


DONE

Governance

Work with R Wilson and S Bacharach on the Language Strategy and finalising the community survey.

sub committee (B Dean and K Tukaki)

DONE

Governance

K Smith to Get STA in to facilitate a meeting around forming a vision for the school.

K Smith

DONE

Governance

Board to decide on and organise a thank you for the staff that is organised by the school community/BOT.

Board

DONE

Governance

Update the language strategy, once completed to be posted on school website.

B Dean

DONE

Governance

Write 2 letters about the outcome of the prefered after-school care provider.

R Ngatai

DONE






MoST Content Management V3.0.7013