facebooktwitter

Photo of girl student

Board of Trustees Minutes


Date: Wednesday 27 March 2019

Time: 6.30 pm

Venue: Staffroom, Ridgway School


  1. Administration

Attendees: Kathryn Smith (Principal), Richard Ngatai (Chair), Julie Hanify, Barbara Dean, Vicki Pewhairangi-Kremm, Sarah Wood, Rachel Kirkman


Apologies: None


New declaration of interests - 2019 - none


  1. Confirmation of Minutes


Resolved, That the 30 January 2019 Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes are accepted and approved (Moved, R Kirkman; Seconded, B Dean; Carried, Unanimously).


Resolved, That the 20 February 2019 Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes are accepted and approved (Moved, B Dean; Seconded, V Pewhairangi-Kremm; Carried, Unanimously).



  1. Strategic Decisions

    1. Previous meeting action updates (all)

      1. R Ngatai has been in touch with Peter Jackson regarding the name of the school. 2 possible Māori names are both approved, and he is happy for the board to decide.

        1. Discussion surrounding how name will be decided: agreement that whānau group should be consulted.

ACTION: R Ngatai to communicate to whānau group regarding Ridgway school name in Te Reo.

  1. There is little history to pass on for this geographical area. Kāhui Ako is doing this as a wider area for a number of schools.

  2. Whānau group have talked about a school design. Peter Jackson suggested going with the Tawatawa fern.

  3. Maintain a relationship going forward - Peter Jackson would prefer this to be through email.


  1. Phone update: 3 possible companies. V Pewhairangi-Kremm and Raelene have met one company. Two more to meet prior to the end of term.

    1. Lots to consider including cost of phone in lift.

    2. Discussion regarding whether it is essential to do prior to school build being finalised.

  2. Review of 2019 budget

    1. K Smith would like to add $8000 to curriculum resources.


Resolved: That the Board approves the allocation of $8000.00 to curriculum resources in the 2019 Ridgway School budget (Moved, S Wood; Seconded, R. Kirkman).


2. K Smith would like the Board to approve the purchase of

capital expenditure (2 dehumidifiers, bike racks, fence and some furniture) totalling $49,800.00.


Resolved: That the Board approves allocation of $49,800.00 to capital expenditure in the 2019 Ridgway School budget. (Moved, R Kirkman; Seconded, J Hanify).


  1. NZSTA updates


  1. Property update

    1. R Kirkman met with Architects and Ministry on 26 March 2019.

    2. Ministry is open to total demolishment of existing school and have requested the architect to create a new design(s) with this in mind.

    3. Plan to meet before the end of next week to see new design(s).

    4. Lots of considerations being undertaken regarding school access, location and number of entrances and pick-up and drop-off areas

    5. Discussion surrounding continuation of schooling during build.

      1. K Smith has done a lot of groundwork to find alternative 'classrooms' during build if necessary.

      2. Cost of alternative classing ie prefabs comes out of build budget.

    6. Any opinions regarding location of buildings or 2 storey buildings?

      1. 2 storey means that build takes up less meterage

      2. Maximise space by having buildings close to the road.

        1. this also ensures visitors to the school come through reception.

      3. Keen to keep existing features that work ie courts, shade etc

      4. Want to keep Mornington Road entrance, even if main entrance is on The Ridgeway.

      5. Board doesn't want drop-off area on site.

    7. R Kirkman will feedback to architects and report back to board via email after meeting.

  2. School fair consultation feedback

    1. Minimal feedback from parents regarding zoning and keeping/removal of year 7&8s.

    2. Record of feedback from fair:


  • "I support NO ZONE. Realising pressures but assuming some schools need to remain flexible and open."

  • "I think having year 7&8's at school is great and should be encouraged more."

  • "I fully support keeping the year 7-8 programme. For kids who need a smaller school/find change hard, the move for 2 years places unnecessary pressure on them. I appreciate the option the year ⅞ programme offers our students and believe it focusses on their strengths and leadership potential. And shows modelling for younger students. It's an excellent point of difference which makes the school alternative."

  • "Year 7 & 8's KEEP!!! Again, a primary (full) school for everyone keep the option there for families. I chose Ridgway because it's a full primary school."

  • "Yes for zoning. Limite the size of classes."

  • "What makes Ridgway special is that anyone and everyone is welcome! No to zoning. Let's stay inclusive for everyone."

  • "1. New Buildings. 2. Science more science. 3. Keep our Year 7 & 8 students."


ACTION: Board to send message/meet with staff to communicate our thanks to for their time, effort and commitment to making the fair a learning experience for our children.

  1. Principal's Update/Report

    1. K Smith has listed all the school document policies to review. There are two this term.


  1. AOB

    1. Kāhui Ako Achievement Plan

      1. Not every school will play a large part in every challenge.

      2. Ridgway school will contribute our data to all challenges.


Resolved: That the board endorses the draft Achievement Plan for Kāhui Ako. (Moved, K Smith; Seconded, R Ngatai).


  1. Exit interview feedback

    1. One point that came up was the unreasonable expectations placed on teachers, which is highlighted by the fact that there is a teacher shortage.

    2. Comment about engagement with board.

      1. Teacher on BOT is responsible to feedback to staff.

      2. Feedback mentioned remoteness of board. What can board do to bridge the gap?

        1. K Smith suggests asking current staff.

        2. Can new staff representative ask teachers what action/communication they want with the board.

      3. K Smith would like it noted that she is interested in having a base-line that is focussed on current staff and their experience teaching at Ridgway school.

        1. possible engagement survey.

        2. Wellbeing at school survey - done with children and there is a teacher survey that gives an overview of school wellbeing.

        3. NZCAR also runs a school self-review survey.

ACTION: K Smith will provide information from previous surveys

    1. Going forward we need to get a better sense of how the school is going.

  1. Can the board do any more to support teachers in working with challenging behaviours?

    1. The school has behaviour plans and strategies that do work over time.

      1. Challenging behaviour is a learning need.

    2. Challenging behaviours do require a lot of hard work and commitment from teachers.

  2. Discussion about position of fundraising:

    1. One role of the board approved teacher to take responsibility for special projects.

    2. Is there a possibility of a fundraising/board liaison position.

    3. Need to create a strategy that fundraising fits within.

ACTION: Board to discuss fundraising strategy and possible liaison role going forward.

  1. K Smith has requested that the board ask more questions in the future, as the exit interviews did not present her with new information, and she could have communicated much of this to the board.

    1. For the board the exit interviews have highlight the importance of the health and wellbeing of staff.

    2. Discussion surrounding the role of the board. There is a fine line between governance and management.


  1. Other points

    1. Should we approach the whānau group for someone who might like to be on the board? Need for someone from French unit as well?

    2. ERO review will be happening in June.

    3. There is a plan to meet with the Muslim families in the school to find out how we can support them.

    4. 10 May - call for nominations, 24 May nominations close and the election day is 7 June. Count votes 13 June and 14 June board takes control.

    5. Thank you to J Hanify for your long term commitment to the board.



  1. Admin



Correspondence - none


Next meeting: Wednesday 1st May 2019, 6.30pm

Supper duty: B Dean


Meeting closed: 8:40pm


Signed as a correct record: ____________________________________

Chairperson / /2019




Summary of action items from meeting 27 March 2019

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Board to discuss fundraising strategy and possible liaison role going forward.

Board

Ongoing

Governance

K Smith to provide board with information of previous NZCER surveys.

K Smith

Term 1

Governance

Communicate to whānau group regarding Ridgway school name in Te Reo.

R Ngatai

Term 1

Governance

Discuss staff/board engagement with staff.

R Ngatai

Term 1

Governance

Board to send message/meet with staff to communicate our thanks to for their time, effort and commitment to making the fair a learning experience for our children.

R Ngatai

Week 9, Term 1



Summary of action items from meeting 20 February 2019

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Review 2019 Budget

Board

June/July 2019

Governance

Discuss cultural narratives and next Kāhui Ako meeting

K Smith

End of February

Governance

Review possible options and compare quotes for new phone system.

V Pewhairangi-Kremm

March BOT meeting




Summary of action items from meeting 30 January 2019

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Board need to consult and develop school motto.

Board

Ongoing

Governance

Cultural narratives including Ridgway School name in Te Reo

R Ngatai

Ongoing




Summary of action items from meeting 28 November 2018

Portfolio

Item

Who

When





Governance

Language and culture strategy to be put online.


K Smith

Beg. Term 1 2019

Governance

Need to consider sign language as part of language strategy and where it fits.

B Dean

Term 1, 2019

Governance

Talk to architects about date in February to meet with community.

K Smith

Term 4



Summary of action items from meeting 24 October 2018

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

R Ngatai will follow up on cultural narratives re: appropriate name, branding, education.

R Ngatai

Term 4



Summary of action items from meeting 31 July 2018

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Define sub-committee roles and look for parent expertise, especially finance.

Board

Term 4


Summary of action items from meeting 20 June 2018

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Property Project

Develop education brief for building project.

K Smith, staff

ongoing



Summary of action items from meeting 26 October 2017

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Review lockdown procedures

K Smith

2018 - school docs


Summary of action items COMPLETED last meeting

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Write introduction to board newsletter regarding revisiting the school vision.


R Ngatai

DONE

Governance

Write up information for parents regarding zoning

R Ngatai

DONE

Governance

Write up summary of building updates for board newsletter

R Kirkman

DONE

Governance

Write up information for parents regarding decapitation.

B Dean

DONE

Governance

Ask S Wood if she is able to compile board newsletter and include information regarding who the board is and their role.

B Dean

DONE

Governance

Check School Docs for policy updates.

Office Staff

Always ongoing

Governance

End of year newsletter from BOT to come out 12/13 December.

S Wood

DONE

Governance

Conduct leaving interviews with departing staff.

K Smith

DONE




MoST Content Management V3.0.7013