facebooktwitter

Board of Trustees Minutes


Date: Wednesday 20 February 2019

Time: 6.35 pm

Venue: Staffroom, Ridgway School


  1. Administration

Attendees: Kathryn Smith (Principal), Richard Ngatai (Chair), Julie Hanify, Barbara Dean, Vicki Pewhairangi-Kremm


Apologies: Sarah Wood, Rachel Kirkman


New declaration of interests - 2019 - none


  1. Confirmation of Minutes


Resolved, That the 28 November 2018 Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes are accepted and approved (Moved, K Smith; Seconded, V Pewhairangi-Kremm; Carried, Unanimously).



  1. Strategic Decisions

    1. Previous meeting action updates (all)

      1. Future board members - discussion around whether we need specific roles covered ie finance?

      2. Elections will be coming mid-year, could be helpful to have someone that has a clear understanding of finance.


Action: R Ngatai to contact community member who has shown interest in joining the BOT.

  1. Confirmation of chair


Resolved, That the board confirms R Ngatai as Ridgway School Board of Trustees Chairperson (Moved, B Dean; Seconded, V Pewhairangi-Kremm).


  1. NZSTA updates

    1. Satisfaction survey on their website if you would like to have a look.

    2. K Smith recommends that board members work through the webinars containing helpful instructions for board members.

    3. Meetings can be useful to meet other board members and get ideas.

  2. Property update

    1. Meeting with architects on Friday.

  3. School fair consultation

    1. R Kirkman has put her hand up to be part of a stand.

    2. Discussion around next BOT newsletter content and informing community of the school fair community consultation.


ACTION: R Ngatai to write introduction regarding revisiting the school vision.

ACTION: R Kirkman to write up summary of building updates.

ACTION: R Ngatai to write up information for parents regarding zoning.

ACTION: B Dean to write up information for parents regarding decapitation (i.e. non-provision of Y7-8 classes).

ACTION: B Dean to ask S Wood if she is able compile board newsletter

  • ask her to include information regarding who the board is and their role.


iii. Organise a room, B Dean to bring shoeboxes for votes.

iv. Have available any information from architects.

v. Information to include school vision, upcoming board elections, new build, zoning, decapitation.

vi. Sue Campbell is aware that board need room/space for the school fair.


  1. Returning officer position for BOT elections

    1. The school will go by the STA suggested dates.


Resolved, That the board approves the appointment of Annaleah Thornburgh to the position of Returning officer (Moved, B Dean; Seconded, J Hanify).


  1. Kāhui Ako: Cultural narratives relates to our geographic area and therefore could be possible to bring in other schools.


ACTION: K Smith will raise at next meeting.


  1. Principal's Update/Report

    1. K Smith requested any comments/questions

      1. Positive feedback.

      2. R Ngatai noticed tiny pockets which K Smith is aware of and is addressing these, including challenges behind their achievement.

        1. There are RTLB interventions where required and this is going well.

      3. The implementation of phonics in 2014 has made a difference to children learning to read.

        1. SPELD tutors are able to come into the school when parents request it, and pay and organise for it to happen.

        2. Lexia programme available for older children.

      4. Discussion surrounding other supports and systems as well as confirming that families are kept informed by the school.

        1. Parent input is very important and improving this is a 'next step'.

        2. Ridgway has a highly engaged community.

        3. Seesaw is a 3 year plan and is an important tool for engaging community.

          1. Feedback was sought last year from families regarding their experience with Seesaw.

    2. R Ngatai asked K Smith about achievement targets.

      1. There will be a number of smaller targets focussed on particular groups.

      2. We will also be creating some targets for maths.

        1. focus on how kids are feeling about maths and their ability to undertake tests.

      3. Wellbeing target

        1. Using the wellbeing at school survey.

        2. FRIENDS program

      4. Te Reo targets

        1. There is a brand new test by NZCR for Te Reo which is one option the staff may decide to try.

        2. Kahui Ako is focussing on this as a group because it is important to the collective of schools.

        3. There is some good information coming from Teachers College which are worth looking at.

        4. K Smith will be discussing this with the Senior Leadership Team.

      5. Also keep focussing on 3R's

    3. The school has advertised for another teacher's aide.

    4. Budget/Finance

      1. Smaller than last year based on smaller roll.

      2. There is a small deficit proposed this year however

        1. Cost of funding a teacher is offset by not needing to pay for relievers this year.

        2. Small french class is offset by money from Frenz

      3. Professional development and teaching resources are really tight.

      4. Discussion around what is included in BOT budget.

      5. Discussion around food for teachers on night's when they need to stay late (8 nights in 2019).

      6. We are planning for a deficit.

        1. We are not spending $10000 of our depreciation budget on new chromebooks.

        2. We are not spending $7000 on painting.

      7. Maintenance budget is $10000 which may not be enough.

    5. Last year the board wrote a list of things that were needed - where are things at on that list?

      1. most bought

      2. fence along zigzag track - will be funded through school fair.

      3. still to buy bike stands

      4. Until building is done it is difficult to make decisions for certain fixtures.

    6. K Smith will come to the board in the next meeting regarding some future purchase requirements for the school.


Resolved: That the board approves the 2019 budget. Moved: R Ngatai, Seconded: B Dean


ACTION: Board to review 2019 budget mid-year


School needs to upgrade telephones this year. We have a number of quotes.


ACTION: V Pewhairangi-Kremm to assess different quotes and options and provide update by next meeting.



  1. Admin


Julie Hanify would like to resign from the BOT. The board accepts Julie Hanify's resignation from the board and thanks her for her time, effort and input over many years. Her final meeting will be Wednesday 27 March to handover.


Correspondence - none


Next meeting: Wednesday 27 March, 6.30pm


Supper duty: J Hanify


Meeting closed: 8:30pm


Signed as a correct record: ____________________________________

Chairperson / /2019




Summary of action items from meeting 20 February 2019

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Review 2019 Budget

Board

June/July 2019

Governance

Discuss cultural narratives and next Kāhui Ako meeting

K Smith

End of February

Governance

Review possible options and compare quotes for new phone system.

V Pewhairangi-Kremm

March BOT meeting


Summary of action items from meeting 30 January 2019

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Board need to consult and develop school motto.

Board

Ongoing

Governance

Cultural narratives including Ridgway School name in Te Reo

R Ngatai

Ongoing




Summary of action items from meeting 28 November 2018

Portfolio

Item

Who

When





Governance

Language and culture strategy to be put online.


K Smith

Beg. Term 1 2019

Governance

Need to consider sign language as part of language strategy and where it fits.

B Dean

Term 1, 2019

Governance

Talk to architects about date in February to meet with community.

K Smith

Term 4



Summary of action items from meeting 24 October 2018

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

R Ngatai will follow up on cultural narratives re: appropriate name, branding, education.

R Ngatai

Term 4



Summary of action items from meeting 31 July 2018

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Define sub-committee roles and look for parent expertise, especially finance.

Board

Term 4


Summary of action items from meeting 20 June 2018

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Property Project

Develop education brief for building project.

K Smith, staff

ongoing



Summary of action items from meeting 26 October 2017

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Review lockdown procedures

K Smith

2018 - school docs


Summary of action items COMPLETED last meeting

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Write introduction to board newsletter regarding revisiting the school vision.


R Ngatai

DONE

Governance

Write up information for parents regarding zoning

R Ngatai

DONE

Governance

Write up summary of building updates for board newsletter

R Kirkman

DONE

Governance

Write up information for parents regarding decapitation.

B Dean

DONE

Governance

Ask S Wood if she is able to compile board newsletter and include information regarding who the board is and their role.

B Dean

DONE

Governance

Check School Docs for policy updates.

Office Staff

Always ongoing

Governance

End of year newsletter from BOT to come out 12/13 December.

S Wood

DONE

Governance

Conduct leaving interviews with departing staff.

K Smith

DONE









MoST Content Management V3.0.7013