facebooktwitter

Photo of girl student

MINUTES

DATE: Tuesday 31 July 2018

TIME: 6.35 pm

VENUE: Staffroom

1. Admin

ATTENDEES: Kathryn Smith (Principal), Richard Ngatai (Chair), Julie Hanify, Barbara Dean, Sarah Wood and Philip Tai (property sub-committee member).

APOLOGIES: Rachel Kirkman and Vicki Pewhairangi Kremm


  • New declaration of interests - 2018 - None


2. Confirmation of Minutes

Resolved, That the 20 June Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes are accepted and approved (Moved, R Ngatai; Seconded, B Dean; Carried, Unanimously).


3. Strategic Discussions

Property -

  • Toilets, delay with tenders for the build.

  • Kevin Currin has been appointed from MoE to Ridgway School. Not a lot of progress. Slight delay in procurement process, going through all the steps.

  • Air testing started and testing the carpets. There will be asbestos testing before work starts.

  • Immediate property issues have been raised - big space doors. Fencing/gates will be sorted too.

  • Education brief - contacted CORE education to do consultation work with the staff, and Board.

  • Property Sub-committee - what is their role. Board to think about what other sub-committees need, what are the roles. Look for a parent with expertise in finance to join the finance sub-committee.

ACTION: Board to define sub-committee roles and look for parent expertise, especially finance.


  • Sandpit/shelter - 2 quotes are in. Comparison has been completed, look at the prefered builder, finalising the last cost. Cost is approx $69K - $86K. Need to clear trees behind fence before builder can start.


Strategy Plan/Charter - what our school means? Work on during October to submit by 31 March 2019. Create draft plan then engage the parent community. Use education brief as a starting point, developing the process from here, first meeting of term 4 is the workshop, consult with community during term 4. NZSTA has a team that can help facilitate, R Ngatai to ask. Board to look at and think about Plan. Involve staff, whanau group before then.


4. Principal's Report - tabled

Risk and safety management

Resolved, that the board are satisfied with Ridgway school Risk Management processes and compliance. (Moved, B Dean; Seconded, S Wood; Carried, Unanimously)


Logo - engage a designer to develop a new logo.


Resolved, that the board engage designer to develop new school branding (Moved, R Ngatai; Seconded, S Wood; Carried, Unanimously)


Student Achievement

Discussion: about how wonderful the at risk year 2s are exceeding expectations and there are a handful of year 4-8 students with high support needs. Number knowledge needs work, teachers working hard to address. Overall, mid year results show students that needed to make progress have. Wellbeing - this year to improve data to support students that need, marginal improvement from last year, continued efforts around data collection.


Finance

High expenditure for Property Maintenance due to buildings being in run down conditions.


5. General business

  • Minute taker Anneleah Thornburrow has resigned, effective this term. Look for a replacement within the parent community - advertise in school newsletter.

ACTION: K Smith to advertise for a board meeting minute taker position in the school newsletter.


  • After school child care provider - after discussions with legal advise the board has agreed to wait until the current contract is up for renewal next year. Write to current provider about this years contract and when it is up for renewal (review).

ACTION: R Ngatai to write to Pridelands about the after school child care contract for 2018 and the date it expires April 2019.


  • 15 August all day Strike for union members. All support staff and the 3 non union members to work, school will not close, to accommodate those parents that are unable to make alternative day care arrangements for their children.



6. Correspondence

NONE

Next meeting: 6.30pm Wednesday 12 September 2018 - including CORE education brief


Supper duty - R Kirkman


Meeting closed: 8.20pm



Signed as a correct record: _____ ___________________________

Chairperson / / 2018



Summary of action items from meeting 31 July 2018

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Define sub-committee roles and look for parent expertise, especially finance.

Board

Term 3

Governance

Write to Pridelands about the after school child care contract for 2018 and the date it expires April 2019.

R Ngatai

Term 3

Governance

Advertise for a board meeting minute taker position in the school newsletter.

K Smith

Term 3


Summary of action items from meeting 20 June 2018

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Property Project

Develop education brief for building project.

K Smith, staff, P Tai

ongoing

Property

Talk to bikes in schools group about whole school design.

K Smith

Term 3

Governance

Update the language strategy, once completed to be posted on school website.

B Dean

Term3

Governance

Ask legal firm for contract lawyer to look at the contract or suggest who to go to.


B Dean

Review the provider when contract comes up for renewal in April 2019




Summary of action items from meeting 9 May 2018

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Work with R Wilson and S Bacharach on the Language Strategy and finalising the community survey.

sub committee (B Dean and K Tukaki)

discuss

Governance

Write 2 letters about the outcome of the prefered after-school care provider.

R Ngatai

Ongoing


Summary of action items from meeting 26 October 2017

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Review lockdown procedures

A Thornburrow

2018 - school docs





Summary of action items COMPLETED last meeting

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Property Project

Communication to our parent community about the building project. Read draft, edit, share.

MoE (draft), R Kirkman top and tail, board review.

done

Property Project

Read and feedback to MoE on the draft Memorandum of Understanding about the property project.

Board

done

Governance

Email content to S Wood next week for board newsletter.

All

done

Governance

Check School Docs for policy updates.

Office Staff

Always ongoing

Governance

investigate the Bereavement policy to clarify what is justified

K Smith

Done - case by case


MoST Content Management V3.0.7013