facebooktwitter

MINUTES

DATE: Wednesday 19 September 2018

TIME: 6.30 pm

VENUE: Staffroom

1. Admin

ATTENDEES: Kathryn Smith (Principal), Richard Ngatai (Chair), Julie Hanify, Barbara Dean, Rachel Kirkman and Vicki Pewhairangi Kremm.

APOLOGIES: Sarah Wood


  • New declaration of interests - 2018 - None


2. Confirmation of Minutes

Resolved, That the 31 July Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes are accepted and approved (Moved, B Dean; Seconded, K Smith; Carried, Unanimously).


3. Education brief

Marianne Mills from CORE attended this part of the meeting to lead a discussion on to get the Board's input into the education brief for the school which will influence the property design. Marianne will draw up the brief for consultation with staff and the school community.


4. Strategic Discussions

Property -

  • For new build two tenders will go out to find: quantity surveyor (MoE dealing with this tender) and lead designer (closes 28 September)

  • Expect to have engaged an architect by mid-November who will design the new building based on education and design briefs. Hope to consult with wider community by end of the year.

Zoning -

  • MoE has raised issue of potential enrolment zoning for Ridgway

  • Board considered MoE's suggestions and considered its long term options

  • Board extensively discussed zoning and pros and cons for Ridgway school community, especially how zoning will influence additional school expansion in the future (not the currently planned new buildings)

  • Discussed roll growth and the number of year 7 & 8 students at Ridgway

Sandpit/shelter -

  • MoE has resolved the encroachment issue with the WCC

  • Work starts 30 September

  • Board discussed insurance for outdoor structures (playground, sandpit and shelter) as these are not covered by MoE insurance. Would cost around $1,000 p.a. to insure these outdoor structures. Board discussed and decided to assume the risk of not insuring these structures as the funding for the insurance premium cannot be taken from operational budget but has to be fundraised. The Board considers fundraising for such a large sum each year is currently not feasible.

Strategy Plan/Charter -

  • Once Marianne Mills has drawn up education brief, Board will consult with school community, whanau group and staff on school motto, vision and education brief. Expects to hold consultation evening mid-November.


4. Principal's Report - tabled

Student Achievement:

PAT results show students are doing great at maths.


Logo - local designer has developed a new logo which looks great and reflects who we are while retaining symbols we already use.


Discussed that it is difficult to engage relievers at the moment.


Interviews for teacher of French Bilingual class resulted in preferred candidate, appointment process underway.


Toilet upgrade underway



5. General business

  • Still need a replacement within for BOT minute taker

  • No NZSTA update



6. Correspondence

NONE

Next meeting: 6.30pm Wednesday 25 October 2018 - discuss school vision

Supper duty - Barbara


Meeting closed: 8.40pm



Signed as a correct record: _____ ___________________________

Chairperson / / 2018



Summary of action items from meeting 31 July 2018

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Define sub-committee roles and look for parent expertise, especially finance.

Board

Term 3

Governance

Write to Pridelands about the after school child care contract for 2018 and the date it expires April 2019.

R Ngatai

Term 3

Governance

Advertise for a board meeting minute taker position in the school newsletter.

K Smith

Term 3


Summary of action items from meeting 20 June 2018

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Property Project

Develop education brief for building project.

K Smith, staff

ongoing

Property

Talk to bikes in schools group about whole school design.

K Smith

Term 3

Governance

Update the language strategy, once completed to be posted on school website.

B Dean

Term3


Summary of action items from meeting 9 May 2018

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Work with R Wilson and S Bacharach on the Language Strategy and finalising the community survey.

sub committee (B Dean and K Tukaki)

discuss

Governance

Write 2 letters about the outcome of the prefered after-school care provider.

R Ngatai

Ongoing


Summary of action items from meeting 26 October 2017

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Review lockdown procedures

A Thornburrow

2018 - school docs


Summary of action items COMPLETED last meeting

Portfolio

Item

Who

When

Governance

Check School Docs for policy updates.

Office Staff

Always ongoing


MoST Content Management V3.0.7013